When a group of criminals met twenty years ago, they carved out the territory they would have control over to avoid any issues. Now, half of them are dead, and it looks as if one of them is out to kill the rest. Vern Blackwood, one of the few remaining criminals still alive, hires 'We Solve Murders' to track down who is responsible.
Two years ago, I approached We Solve Murders, the first book in the We Solve Murders series, with a little trepidation, wondering if Richard Osman had made a mistake by moving away from The Thursday Murder Club. I needn't have worried, as I loved the book; I even thought it was better than The Thursday Murder Club series. I've just re-read the review I wrote at the time (you can find it here), and pretty much everything I wrote two years ago about the first book can be applied to the new novel.
The plot of We Chase Shadows is convoluted, with criminals killing each other, but Vern Blackwood is adamant that there is no way the main suspect would kill him. Although the team of Rosie, Steve, and Amy has identified the killer, it is as if they are chasing a ghost, someone who only appeared twenty-five years ago and is never seen apart from when a killing takes place. As with the first book in the series, we see the trio making use of Rosie's wealth and contacts to hop around the globe, chasing information on the elusive killer.
It is the characters of Rosie, Steve, and Amy that really make the story. Their individual eccentricities make them so endearing. Rosie is as outrageous as ever, but is struggling to understand her place in the publishing industry, seriously wondering if she has come to the end of her career as a writer. We learn a little bit more about Amy, discovering why she has built a wall around herself. Even though she's as hard as nails, we do see a little bit of emotion from her.
Steve is the standout character for me. He's still grieving the loss of his wife, in fact, he'd happily join her if it wasn't for letting his friends down and abandoning Trouble, his cat. I adore his no-nonsense approach to life, and I'd happily read a book based purely on the conversations between Steve and Tony.
The plot is helped along by some wonderful minor characters, and the big reveal is impossible to guess. I was disappointed when the book came to an end, as I enjoyed spending time with the threesome.
Author Details
Richard Osman is an author, producer and television
presenter. The Thursday Murder Club novels are a record-breaking,
multi-million-copy, bestselling series around the world. The movie adaptation
for The Thursday Murder Club, produced by Amblin Entertainment, is available to
watch on Netflix. His new series, We Solve Murders, featuring a brand-new
detective trio, is also an international bestseller. Richard promises there are
more books to come in both series. He lives in London with his wife, Ingrid,
and their cats, Liesl and Lottie.
No comments:
Post a Comment