Podcaster Melody is intrigued when she hears about relationships breaking up on the day that a couple's 'love lock' was cut off a bridge in Dublin. Determined to find out more, she decides to track down the man responsible for the removal of the locks, Al.
I'm really not sure what I was expecting when I started reading Love Unlocked by Cecelia Ahern. I know I certainly didn't expect to become fully invested in the lives and relationships of two wonderful characters. It was refreshing to see that the main characters were both in their late thirties, a time when most people would hope to have their lives sorted out.
Melody is very much a free spirit; she doesn't like the thought of long-term commitment and runs at the idea of spending her life with one person. Unfortunately, she's also terrified of being alone at night (one of her many foibles), so this can be an issue. It's Melody's honesty and vulnerability that make her so likeable. I certainly understood her choices to buck societal norms around marriage.
Al is the complete opposite; he's a true romantic, he loves grand gestures. So when his fiancée breaks his heart, you can't help but sympathise with him. There were times when I found his actions hilarious, and other times that left me feeling really uncomfortable; however, his behaviour was understandable. Music plays a big part in Al's emotional journey; I could hear the songs playing in my head as he went through the different stages of his break-up. There definitely needs to be a Spotify playlist made.
It is under these inauspicious circumstances that the couple first meet, and the chemistry between them is palpable, even though we know they are complete opposites. There is a spark, but they both seem determined to fight it. Melody is adamant she isn't looking for anything long-term, and Al is convinced he's still in love with his fiancée. As the pair spend time together, they begin to realise what has brought them to this point in their lives, but is this realisation enough to make them want something different?
Love Unlocked by Cecelia Ahern will be published on 27th August 2026 in hardback, ebook, and audio format. My thanks to NetGalley and HarperCollins UK for a review copy.
Author Details
Cecelia Ahern is an Irish novelist whose work was first
published in 2004. Her debut novel PS I Love You was an international
bestseller and was adapted to film starring Hilary Swank. Her second novel,
Where Rainbows End, was adapted into Love, Rosie starring Lily Collins. Her
books have been published in over thirty-seven languages, and have sold over
twenty-five million copies. In addition to her novels, she is also the author
of a highly acclaimed collection of stories, Roar, which is now an Apple Original
series starring Nicole Kidman on Apple TV+.
No comments:
Post a Comment