Monday 4 December 2023

Holmes, Marple And Poe by James Patterson and Brian Sitts


When a young woman goes missing the police have no clues to her whereabouts. It takes a new team of private investigators to solve the case. It’s hardly a surprise that the team are able to succeed where the police failed since they are Holmes, Marple and Poe.

It’s a while since I’ve read anything by James Patterson. I used to buy each new hardback and race through them. Since I was working full-time the writing style suited my time perfectly. Short, snappy chapters, gripping plot and familiar characters (I’m thinking of series such as Alex Cross, Women’s Murder Club, Michael Bennett) meant that I didn’t have to invest a lot of time or concentration. However, I simply couldn’t keep up with the author’s prolific output and I simply drifted away. Even though I now have more time available to read I haven’t really been tempted back, probably because it would involve trying to figure out where I was in each series and trying to catch up. When I saw the title of this new book, Holmes, Marple And Poe, along with the description, I was immediately intrigued.

I’m so pleased I decided to give the book a chance as I thoroughly enjoyed it. My attention was grabbed from the very beginning as we are introduced to the eccentric Brendan Holmes. Alongside Margaret Marple and Auguste Poe, he is able to solve the case of the mysterious disappearance of a young attorney. While the case thrusts the new team of private investigators into the limelight, it also makes them a few enemies, namely the mayor and the police commissioner.

New cases to solve come at the team thick and fast, crimes which are solved relatively quickly. While we do get a taste for the eccentric nature of each character and can see links to their namesakes, we don’t get an in-depth understanding of the thought process and deductions that lead to solving each case. This light touch is part of the reason the book is so readable.

More intriguing than the numerous crimes the trio are involved with is the identity of the characters themselves. Whenever they are introduced to someone there is always a comment about the names being a “joke”. Each of the trio shares traits with their namesake, some of which have a negative impact. There are subtle hints regarding the true identities of each of them but nothing is fully revealed, keeping the reader in suspense. A couple of supporting characters also add to the overall mystique of the team.

I really did enjoy this far more than I expected to. I do hope that this is the start of a new series.

Holmes, Marple And Poe by James Patterson and Brian Sitts will be published on 4th January 2024 in hardback, ebook and audio format. My thanks to NetGalley and Random House UK for a review copy.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Revenge Club by Kathy Lette (Audiobook)

  Four female friends, all sidelined in some way by men, hatch a plan to wreak revenge. I will freely admit I haven't been near a Kathy ...