Tuesday 11 July 2023

The Madonna Of Bolton by Matt Cain (Audiobook)

 


Growing up in Bolton, nine-year-old Charlie Matthews knows he's different. It's only when he receives a Madonna single as a birthday present that he finds his path in life.

A couple of things attracted me to this audio-book. Firstly, I'm a fan of Matt Cain's writing, having previously read and reviewed The Secret Life Of Albert Entwistle and Becoming Ted. Albert Entwistle is a character that will live with me for a very long time, he is so engaging; please do check out my review and the book itself.

The other reason that The Madonna Of Bolton attracted me is the setting. Charlie Matthews is growing up in Bolton, Lancashire, in the 1980's. I started my teaching career in Bolton in the late 1980's, so anything set around this time period holds a lot of nostalgia for me.

This is a heart-warming tale of growing up "different" in a northern town. We learn how Charlie struggles to be accepted at school and has to form allegiances with others who are different, bonding through a love of Madonna.

The story opens with a homage to the early 80's but doesn't dwell there. The story is fast-paced and whistles through Charlie's life as he grows older, attends university, gets a job and finally settles down. Each chapter of his life is referenced by a Madonna single. 

It is only when Charlie goes to university that he is fully able to accept what makes him different. It is amusing to hear him trying to hide his northern, working-class roots alongside not acknowledging his sexuality. 

There are a number of poignant moments in the story, however, the majority is full of humour and self-deprecation. By the end, we see a happier and wiser Charlie who is content with who he is and what he has. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Revenge Club by Kathy Lette (Audiobook)

  Four female friends, all sidelined in some way by men, hatch a plan to wreak revenge. I will freely admit I haven't been near a Kathy ...