Thursday 8 June 2023

Trust Me by T. M. Logan (Audiobook)

 



Ellen is on her way home on the train when a young woman asks her to keep an eye on her baby while she takes a phone call. The next thing Ellen knows the woman has disappeared. A note in the baby's changing bag begs Ellen to look after baby Mia and to trust no-one, not even the police. Ellen is torn between doing the right thing and protecting the child. When a stranger kidnaps them Ellen does everything in her power to protect Mia.

I'm a fan of T. M. Logan's thrillers, he is an expert in taking everyday situations and twisting them into nightmares. I've read The Mother and The Curfew and listened to The Catch as an audiobook. All have been engrossing but out of the three The Catch was my favourite, it worked really well in audio format. Trust Me is probably my least favourite of the books.

The opening is gripping, very believable and really makes the listener wonder what they would do in a similar situation. Ellen is a sympathetic character, especially as we learn a little about her backstory, and this makes some of her early actions extremely plausible.

As the action intensifies, with the kidnapping, we see a different Ellen. She doesn't back-down easily, isn't intimidated and is calm under pressure. This comes across well in the narration. I began to wonder exactly what Ellen's background was and what skills she had. I even wondered if Ellen was the target and the abandoned baby was coincidental.

Escaping one perilous situation, Ellen ends up in another and we learn that there is more than one person hunting for her. The number of possible villains is what let this story down for me. I found it difficult to keep track of who each person was and why they were trying to find Ellen/Mia. Reading the book may make it easier as it would have been possible to keep checking back.

The conclusion is frantic, although I had figured out who was responsible (but not why), and tied everything together well. As I've said, this probably works better in print and it certainly hasn't put me off trying any of the author's other books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Revenge Club by Kathy Lette (Audiobook)

  Four female friends, all sidelined in some way by men, hatch a plan to wreak revenge. I will freely admit I haven't been near a Kathy ...