Monday 16 May 2022

The Saturday Night Sauvignon Sisterhood by Gill Sims

 


Busy Mum Claire is having to deal with it all; a hectic job. two primary aged children who are convinced that being made to eat vegetables is classed as child abuse and a husband who is so busy he can't possibly lift a finger to help around the house. Thankfully Claire has her best friend Emily to keep her sane. Claire is just about able to keep everything under control until one day she makes a discovery that will have far flung implications.

The Gill Sim's series of Why Mummy.... books have been on my radar for a while but I've never quite gotten around to reading them, therefore when I got the opportunity to read The Saturday Night Sauvignon Sisterhood I leapt at the chance.

Firstly I must admit that I don't have children so can only imagine what bringing young children up is like. The scenes involving the children are actually the funniest parts of the book and I was laughing out loud from the first chapter. Having been a teacher for 35 years I've heard the refrain that "it's against my human rights" a number of times so for Claire to have this thrown at her repeatedly from her own children was hilarious. 

I am sure that many parents are just like Claire and have to bite back what they really want to say and have to explain in a quiet and calm manner why the rules are the way they are. You could really feel Claire's frustration having to deal with internet savvy children without the support of her husband, a typical "hands off" father.

When fate intervenes and Claire realises she's stopped being a person in her own right, she is then in the predicament of how do adults make friends. This leads to some funny situations and some extremely strange characters. I appreciated the fact that the author didn't tie everything up at the end with a nice tidy bow, life doesn't always have a perfect happy ending. 

My thanks to NetGalley and HarperCollins UK for a review copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Revenge Club by Kathy Lette (Audiobook)

  Four female friends, all sidelined in some way by men, hatch a plan to wreak revenge. I will freely admit I haven't been near a Kathy ...