Wednesday 2 February 2022

January 2022 Reads

 


Quality over quantity is definitely the theme for my January reads. Thoroughly enjoyed each book to the point where I was disappointed that they ended. A couple of the books were not from my preferred genre of thrillers so that also made a pleasant change. Since I enjoyed each book it's difficult to pick favourites, however the ones that really stood out for me are:

Lessons In Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus is full of wonderful characters, particularly the heroine, and a story about empowerment, all set against a backdrop of 1960's America. Even though the story is set 60 years ago there are lots of messages for society today.

You are immediately grabbed by Insomnia from Sarah Pinborough. Full of twists, the story shows how quickly life can unravel, particularly when we try to hide secrets. 

My absolute favourite this month has been A Terrible Kindness by Jo Browning Wroe. This is the type of book that you want to recommend to absolutely everyone you speak to. Moments of joy counter-balanced with times of unspeakable despair. The reader is completely invested in the endearing characters and the way in which they strive for inner peace.

My thanks to NetGalley for making some of these books available in proof form ahead of their publication date. Dates to watch for are:

Insomnia by Sarah Pinborough, published 31st March 2022

Lessons In Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus, published 5th April 2022

Into The Dark by Fiona Cummins, published 14th April 2022

The Echo Man by Sam Holland, published 14th April 2022


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Revenge Club by Kathy Lette (Audiobook)

  Four female friends, all sidelined in some way by men, hatch a plan to wreak revenge. I will freely admit I haven't been near a Kathy ...