Wednesday 3 November 2021

October Round-up


A slightly delayed post covering my October reading. Only managed 15 books this month but I'm not complaining, when I look back to this time last year I was probably only getting through 2 or 3 books a month.

In October 3 books really stood out for me. Firstly, Our House by Louise Candlish. This book has been on my TBR for a little while but when I discovered that it's going to be made into a TV drama I moved it up the pile. The whole plot just seemed so plausible it was terrifying. I just hope the TV series does the book justice, I'm sure it will as the cast includes Martin Compston (Line Of Duty) and Rupert Penry-Jones (Spooks).

The second book to stand out for me in October was The Quiet People by Paul Cleave. There was a real buzz about this book on Twitter so I had to see what all the fuss was about. Glad to say I wasn't disappointed. Not only is this an excellent thriller but it also addresses the way we use and consume social media. These days it is so easy to pass judgement because of something that appears on a screen in front of us without fully knowing all the facts.

The Murder Rule by Dervla McTiernan was my third outstanding book of the month. Loved the way the stories were interwoven to develop the plot. 

Being October I also got to spend a little time with Jack Reacher in Better Off Dead by Lee Child and Andrew Child. I stumbled across the Jack Reacher books about 20 years ago, reading Die Trying first, then Killing Floor. Since then a new Reacher novel has been the highlight of each year. 

Thanks to NetGalley I also got the opportunity to read some great novels which are due to be published very soon. These include:

The Lost by Simon Beckett, publication date 25/11/21

A Cornish Christmas Murder by Fiona Leitch, publication date 9/12/21

The Maid by Nita Prose, publication date 20/1/22

The House of Ashes by Stuart Neville, publication date 3/2/22

A Flicker In The Dark by Stacy Willinghmad, publication date 3/2/22

The Murder Rule by Dervla McTiernan, publication date 3/3/22

Off now to make a dent in the November book pile. Happy reading folks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Revenge Club by Kathy Lette (Audiobook)

  Four female friends, all sidelined in some way by men, hatch a plan to wreak revenge. I will freely admit I haven't been near a Kathy ...